when you dream about water what does it mean
Water dreams are common, and they can be interpreted in a number of ways. Water dreams often relate to our emotions: the ocean can symbolize desire, for example, while a lake or river may represent our emotional journey through life. While water dreams don’t always have easy answers, it’s important that you pay attention to them because they can reveal something about what’s going on in your waking life. Here are four common types of water dreams and what they may mean for you:
We asked professional dream interpreter Lauri Loewenberg, author of Dream On It: Unlock Your Dreams, Change Your Life, to share four common water dreams and what they may mean for you.
- “I am drowning”
Dreams about drowning are common, but according to Lauri Loewenberg, author of Dream On It: Unlock Your Dreams, Change Your Life and co-creator of the television show What’s My Line?, you need to look beyond that surface meaning. “If all you see is water and your lungs are exploding because you can’t breathe—and then it turns out you’re actually walking through a swimming pool or something—that means something else entirely,” she says.
- Water dreams can be positive or negative:
Sometimes water dreams signify feelings of being trapped or drowning; other times they mean that someone needs help. “You’re going to get into deeper waters if somebody is in trouble,” says Loewenberg. “Just because they’re in trouble doesn’t mean they’ll die.” The same goes for positive water dreams: A dream about having fun at the beach could signal that a relationship is progressing smoothly; one where someone drowns could be an indication that things aren’t working out as planned with their partner (or maybe just their phone).
Dream about water.
Water is a universal symbol, and there are many different ways in which it can represent your life and your emotions.
For example, water represents cleansing. In particular, it represents the emotional cleansing that comes with letting go of something that no longer serves you. Water is also a symbol of change; whether it be positive or negative change depends on the context of your dream. If you dream about being underwater, then this may be a sign that you need to make some kind of adjustment in order to move forward with new or altered circumstances in your life
If you have recurring dreams about water but don’t know what they mean yet then check out our blog post below where we discuss common themes associated with dreams about water: http://www.dreammoodsapp.com/blog/when-you-dream-about-water
Dream about a boat or shipwreck.
- Dreaming about a boat or shipwreck is common. It could mean that you are feeling overwhelmed, like your life is going nowhere, or that you are looking for direction.*
- These dreams can also be associated with feelings of being lost, which often reflects feelings of not knowing where we are in life. For example, if your dream includes the ocean or river but no land masses around it, this may symbolize both confusion and independence.
Dream about a storm or tsunami.
Dreaming of a storm or tsunami is an ominous dream.
This can be an indication that you are about to experience a storm in your waking life, like a conflict with someone close to you or trouble at work. It could also mean that there is going to be an unexpected change in your life, such as losing your job or moving away from home, which might seem like bad news but ends up being surprisingly good for you in the long run.
If this dream comes true, it may not be pleasant at first and will definitely cause some anxiety while it’s happening, but once everything calms down again and settles back into normalcy (or whatever passes for normal), then most people realize they’re better off than they were before their “storm” occurred.
If instead of storms and tsunamis it was floods or rainbows that appeared in your dreamscape then read on below!
Dream about drowning or feeling trapped beneath the waves.
- If you are dreaming about drowning, it may indicate that you feel like you’re drowning in your life. You may be feeling overwhelmed by everything going on around you and don’t know how to process all of the emotions that arise from these feelings.
- If you dream of being trapped under water, this could represent feeling powerless or out of control. You feel as though there is no way out and have no choice but to stay where you are until the situation improves or passes over.*
See what dreams about water mean.
- Dreams are a way of accessing your subconscious.
- Dreams are a way of accessing your emotions.
- Dreams are a way of accessing your intuition.
- Dreams are a way of accessing your creativity.
- Dreams are a way of accessing your higher self.
We hope you found this article helpful. If you have any other questions about your dreams, please feel free to reach out!